Sunday, September 6, 2009

There's a Wordy Artist in my Soul


I cannot draw, as is documented here. At one time, the game Pictionary was a family favorite, and the stress I felt when it was my turn to draw was overwhelming. I cannot even draw stick people to look like stick people. And I am surrounded by artists. My husband does beautiful watercolors. My sons are all able to draw, especially cars (their passion). My mother has a lifelong love affair with painting. My sister is a gifted artist. And I have numerous amazingly talented friends.


It is so frustrating to have a picture in my mind and not be able to translate that onto paper. I know exactly how I want it to look, and I just don't have the ability to make that happen. If I could make that translation, there wouldn't be a surface in my home left untouched. No blank walls. No books without hand painted covers. No dog dishes left unadorned.

But that's not my gift. I can wish for it, hope for it, dream about it, but it's not happening.  What I might be able to do, however, is create pictures with words.  So, I'll try.  I'll share experiences and dreams.  I'll offer a view into disappointments and hurts.  I might even tell my almost world famous Naked Fire Story.

And while I attempt to do that, the walls of my home will be safe.  Unless I find some really great letter stencils...

7 comments:

Sheri said...

Okay, first off. It's very pretty! Good start. Then I read your posts and knew I will just love your writing. You may not be able to draw, but what you do with the written word is truly a gift from God. And, most times, the written word brings the story to color as much as pictures, if not more. Especially when well written. Your blog is already bursting with color! Love you to pieces!

Megan Moore Duncan said...

And everyone should have a friend like Sheri, too!

Belinda Kendall said...

AWESOME, MEGAN!!!!
Okay, how did I miss the first post?! I am already behind! But I caught up andI love it! You are an artist! Your paintbrush is the writen word! You are creative out the wazooos! Absolutely! And your laughter has always greatly encouraged me (and made me pee my pants!)
You are an amazging encourager and I am going to subscribe to your blog (as soon as I find the RSS feed) to insure I don't miss a single post!
I love you and I love who God made you to be!

Elaine said...

First, you are the most gifted storyteller I know, how could anyone NOT want to read your blog? Second, it will keep me apprised of the Duncan family happenings a la Erma Bombeck. And finally, I dare you to tell your Naked Fire Story to all. If Judy hasn't heard it, she will pee her pants.

I look forward to your next installment. Meanwhile, back at the ranch . . .

Anonymous said...

so just how much money could someone who not only witnessed the naked fire story...but actually caused it make by tellin this story to anyone who wants to hear it? This could be how I start makin some money...you are just about as good a writer as it gets, maybe you should start that novel???

love you mommy
spencer

Elaine said...

You know, I never have heard Spencer's version of that story. How cheap are you Spence?

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're doing a blog. I agree with everyone above: you are a wonderful storyteller and writer and I can't wait to read your next post!

I really want to hear Spencer's version too; how come I haven't heard it before???

Shea

Post a Comment