Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I'm a Sunset Girl


I love sunsets.  LOVE them, especially on the water. When we are on the left coast, we drop everything and head to the beach to watch the sunset. My mom lives within walking distance of a great beach. I think there's something kind of magical about living like that, where you can hear and smell the ocean when you go outside and walk down to it whenever you want to. Sigh...

It's not that I don't enjoy sunrises. I do. It's special to watch the sun come up on a new day, full of new opportunities, full of promise. I like the pre-sunrise, where the sky lightens and then gradually takes on the colors of the day.



But it's sunsets that really take my breath away. Like a kiss at the end of a day. A seal on another day well-lived, a stamp of approval on life.  I love the colors and the gradual disappearance of that big ball of fire which seems to not move at all until you look away for a moment and look back to find the sun much lower on the horizon (or setting the water on fire, as my guys like to say).

Now, some people have said that I must be a pessimist to like sunsets more than sunrises. Their point, I believe, is that an optimist would look forward to a new day (sunrise).  While I've never stood in line for an "I Love Mornings" t-shirt, that doesn't mean that I lack optimistic tendencies. I just prefer sunsets over their morning counterparts. When I see a sunset, when I take the time to really watch it and contemplate its beauty and meaning, I am humbled at how small we are and, at the same time, exhilarated at how much God loves us to give us such beautiful color in our world.


Yep, I'm a sunset girl. That's how I roll.

4 comments:

Elaine said...

You paint a wonderful word picture. I too prefer the sunset; although, to be honest it's probably because I am not a morning person. I just like to sit and slow down and take stock of the day while watching God paint. It is one of the most calming, peaceful times to me. Thanks for your own beautiful "painting".

Sheri said...

Ahhh......

Anonymous said...

I posted last night but I see it didn't show up. I enjoy the rising and the going down of the sun in opposite sort of ways! One offers the promise of the day ahead the other serves as the fulfilment of the promise! My favorite place I have ever stayed is the Embassy Suites at Pensacloa Beach on the top floor. In the morning we stood on the balcony and watched the sun rise in the East (over the Gulf) and in the evening we could open the front door to our room and see through the glass hallway and watch the sun set over the Gulf in the evening.

Enjoying your "artistic adventure" (blog is so....yeah)

Blessings-DC

Mary D. said...

I love the way you write and the way you roll!

Post a Comment