Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Warped Door

If you just look at the sign on the door, you might miss the beauty of the rest of the dwelling.

Some friends have just moved into a beautiful new house.  Physically, it's beautiful.  But, honestly, we live in an area where many houses are beautiful.  What makes this house special is that it is a home.  It is a representation of the love of the family that dwells there.  It is a reminder that they are a family, they have worked hard, they are on the same team.  But this home has a warped door.  Even if you are not someone who has been trained to spot a door's warp factor, it is obvious the door is flawed because the builder wrote on the door, right there where everyone could see:  WARPED DOOR.


Now, if you've never built a house or been involved in a building renovation or remodel, you may not know that no one EVER moves into a perfect space.  There is always something that was left unfinished, something that needs to be redone, repainted, or removed.  So, in the great big scheme of things, a warped door is not that big of a deal.  And while I am certain there are more items on this new home's punch list, that's the only item I saw with its flaw so boldly proclaimed.

I hope this is not a news flash for you, but people are flawed.  Maybe our flaws are out there for everyone to see.  Perhaps we position ourselves around others whose flaws are more obvious so that ours seem to pale in comparison.  Some of us work hard to cover up or hide our flaws--a fresh coat of paint, a change of accessories.  But what if we had to wear signs around our necks that proclaimed our flaws?  What would yours say?  Emotionally Unavailable?  Narcissistic?  Jealous? Insecure?  Liar?  Pessimistic?

Personally, I would require a plethora of signs.  Things that need work, stuff that needs to be discarded, areas that need some attention to detail--I am a walking of punch list of flaws.  And I've lived long enough to realize I am not the only one.

I am determined to look past the signs, whether they are obvious or not.  I am determined to see the beauty of the whole person.  I choose to focus on what is good.  Because if I were to just look at the sign on the door, I might miss the beauty of the rest of the dwelling.

3 comments:

DeAnna said...

I couldn't have said it better myself! Praise God that He took my sin and shame so I don't have to walk around with a sign to point out my flaws (and Sister, I've got ALOT of them!) Instead, I think I'll continue carry, with a grateful heart, what God sees when He looks at me...forgiven, restored, redeemed, covered by grace, worth it, beautiful, one of a kind, the apple of His eye, His delight...

Thanks for the reminder of Whose I am today....

Judy @ In His Grip said...

Wow, who wants those kinds of accessories when I can wear a sign that says, "Child of the King" and in pink too!!!!!

Sheri said...

As the two previous princesses have stated, we serve a sweet God that can see past the flaws. Thank you Jesus. I too, will see who I am through His eyes and if I can where an accessory to state it, all the better. Just as important, I see what He sees when I look at you; A Beautiful, loving, devoted, sweet, sweet daughter of our One and Only God.

Post a Comment